Dave Masin, a Bellevue Club member and fourth generation owner of Masins Fine Furnishing & Design, talks about what’s trending this year.
1. ECLECTIC is the new way to buy. With the popularity of apartments and condos, less square footage in single-family homes, and a clientele accustomed to moving and relocating, people are looking for unique, smaller scale statement pieces in a variety of styles and materials.
2. MID-CENTURY MODERN is still hot. With familiar lines and clean shapes, mid-century modern is still a very popular home design trend, in fabrics, finishes and upholstery.
3. THINK BEYOND THE WOOD — We see trends that incorporate leather tops, shagreen sides, rattan, elaborate nail head detail and many other textures. Plain surface, all-wood items look old and dated.
4. 'BELLEVUE BEIGE' has finally run its course! We encourage our clients to use splashes of color in order to break out of the beige funk. It adds visual interest and an element of unexpectedness when highlighting a particular color.
5. WALLPAPER is so ... 2014. We are seeing wallpaper being used in many of our projects recently. Wallpaper adds a rich, layered look to all design elements and can make a room sparkle with style.
6. FUNCTIONALITY IS CRITICAL When decorating a small space, having the right pieces that are not only scaled appropriately, but also versatile is critical. For example, a console table that can expand to a dining table, or a cocktail table that can be used as an informal dining surface for light meals and appetizers.
7. POPS OF COLOR — For spring, we recommend refreshing interiors with new lighting, accessories and pops of color. Dramatic table lamps, colorful artwork, and unusual throw pillows can help transform any space.
8. TRADITIONAL WITH A TWIST — We are seeing renewed interest in traditional style: pieces with classic lines and tailored silhouettes, but with a fresh, modern sensibility.
For information about these products or design services, visit masins.com.