After a long, active day out in winter weather, few things feel better than soaking in a hot bath or hot tub. Add some Epsom salt to the mix and up the ante to increase its healing effects. The benefits come from the magnesium sulfate compound, which is essential to many of the body’s everyday functions. Epsom salt baths are great as part of a regular health and beauty routine, but they are especially helpful during recovery periods. Here are a few reasons to add a cup or two to your next soak.
- GET HAPPY AND RELAX. Epsom salt is thought to encourage serotonin production, creating a relaxing effect.
- EASE EXCESS ADRENALINE. The salt also promotes a calming of the nervous system, which is heavily taxed during high-adrenaline activities such as skiing or snowboarding.
- FIGHT PAIN. Properties of magnesium are believed to ease swelling, pain and inflammation in the body.
- DETOXIFY. There is a school of thought that says Epsom salt helps draw out toxins from the body, increasing energy levels and decreasing internal stress.
- IMPROVE CIRCULATION. Increasing the body’s magnesium level is often cited for its ability to lower blood pressure and reduce irregular heartbeats.
- EXFOLIATE. Rubbing the salt directly on the skin will help shed dead skin layers.
- FEEL GOOD. Many people simply enjoy the silkiness that the salt adds to the water.