Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is that these rich, chocolaty brownies have fantastic flavor, unexpected ingredients and are easy to make. Black beans make a cameo appearance and add a boost of protein and fiber for sustained energy to keep your family going!
Yields: 16 servings
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an eight-inch square baking pan.
- In a food processor, combine the black beans, sugar and oil and blend until smooth. Add cocoa, banana, coffee and vanilla and blend again.
- Scrape mixture into large mixing bowl. Add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely and then refrigerate several hours before cutting.
Recipe adapted by Carolyn Minckler from Robin Robertson, Vegan On the Cheap, 2010.